New York: 1867. First Edition. Wraps. Octavo; pp; 81-96; original illustrated blue paper wrappers lettered in black;. wrappers chipped at edges, pages stained but supple and readable, a fair to good copy of a very scarce periodical;. Item #18404
Signed by a Solomon Graves on front wrapper. The Five Points House of Industry in New York City was established in 1851. Originally the group was formed by the New York Ladies’ Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1850 in response to the rampant crime and prostitution in the area. The society appointed Lewis M. Pease as the first head missionary and he soon set off on a reign of moral reform. Pease believed that many women in the area became prostitutes out of necessity. The area largely lacked adequate employment opportunities and as a result many women fell into prostitution as means to provide for themselves and their children. He held the opinion that if women were given better job opportunities they would live more meaningful lives and have a better future in general. Rather than emphasize the importance of moral reform through preaching, he took a much more proactive approach and created job training programs and utilized job placement for the most destitute women.