Hanover N.H. Printed by The Dartmouth Press, 1866. Wraps. Octavo; pp; 16; original black pebbled wrappers;. wrappers are detached but the pamphlet is complete with all preliminaries;. Item #17727
the first leaf is partially printed and finished in hologram, certifying that Charles Francis Richardson is admitted as a member of Dartmouth College, August 28, 1867 and signed by the College President Asa D. Smith. C. F. Richardson would later teach at Dartmouth and was an author and poet. The Rev. Asa Dodge Smith D.D., L.L.D. (September 21, 1804 – August 16, 1877) served as the 7th president of Dartmouth College from 1863 until his death in 1877. After the forced resignation of Nathan Lord in 1863 over his support for slavery, the Trustees wanted a more conservative president to take his place. As a preacher for 29 years at the 14th Street Presbyterian Church in New York City, Asa Dodge had developed a reputation as a religious man with abolitionist beliefs. Smith's presidency was a period of great growth for the College, including the establishment of two new schools within Dartmouth. The New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts, later moved to Durham, New Hampshire and renamed the University of New Hampshire, was originally founded in Hanover in 1866. One year later, the Thayer School of Engineering was founded. Over the course of his presidency, enrollment at the College was more than doubled, the number of scholarships increased from 42 to 103, and Dartmouth benefited from several important bequests.